Monday, February 25, 2013

Sickness raises the bar for a Mama

So, you know this flu bug that has been going around that everyone hopes and prays somehow misses them?  Well, it has officially come into our home and has not left yet.  I have never in my life seen so much puking... hours upon hours of puking and dry heaving... a little water and then more puking.  My youngest was hit right at bedtime and puked off and on until 5:30 in the morning.  Another one went pretty consistently for a whole day.  It just hurts so much to see your children in pain and not be able to do much about it.

We have been able to laugh at it, occasionally,  as puke is going down the front and back of me and I am just standing there not knowing what to do next.  Or when I go through so many clothes that I start evaluating exactly how much puke is on me and whether that is enough to change clothes or whether I just press on until the next time.

Although I have some good stories, and the sickness has not passed yet, I would be lying to say that it's been easy... I am tired, actually exhausted.  The laundry has picked up.  The demands which I felt were already pressing have only increased.  The love that I give out daily has had to be given more frequently and the need for physical touch has sky rocketed but most importantly, I just hate feeling helpless.  Always questioning what I could do differently to help my children or how I could swing changing places with them so that they don't have to go through this pain... and yet at the end of the day, coming up short.

I am thankful that I can/have to draw on God's strength during this time.  I have come to the end of myself and had to hand the reigns over.  I wish I could do that easier in my day to day life and not wait for these tough circumstances.  I guess I continue to learn and continue to journey.

May God's truth ring in our hearts and in our minds that with Christ ALL things are possible!

No comments: